Tuesday, March 15, 2005

An' when you hate then you bound to get IRATE

Sorry, I've gotten lazy with all of my free time, and now I'm simply copy/pasting all of my blog entries into both of my blogs. This will not be a permanent thing, I promise. But the combination of dial up and sleep debt prevent me from being creative or ambitious enough to do this twice.
Hey guys, I guess I can post again, although not much has happened since my last post. I did go to the memorial service for Ashley's husband, Eric, and I'm really glad I did. It was actually a celebration of his life, which I think it a much more appropriate focus for Christians to take regarding death. I've kind of decided that I don't even want a funeral or a wake or anything when I die, I would like to be cremated (or buried, if enough people really want to raise a fuss about what might happen with the resurrection of the dead on Judgement Day - really stupid argument, if you ask me...) and have a potluck where people can remember me, if they want, but the focus should be on my life as they knew it and my life as I will be experiencing it after I die. Because goodness knows I won't be mourning at that point when I finally meet my God face-to-face, and I would wish that the same might be true of those I love, that they would have joy. Now, I have experienced death of loved ones, and so I know that it is not easy to take that approach, but I'm concerned that it is difficult because Christian focus has become to centered on the present, and not enough on God's plan for the future. K, I think I'm done preaching for a while, but that's been on my heart and in my mind lately.
On an extremely different note, I love AZ. It's so warm, and beautiful, and full of Mexican food. And people who don't speak with midwestern accents. hahahaha, I love all of you who do speak with midwestern accents, too. But you make me laugh. I admit. And sometimes I shamelessly mock your kind. I hope you forgive me some day! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heartily agree. I've also never seen the point in spending thousands of dollars on a fancy box that's only going to be seen for a few hours during the funeral service. Stick me in a refrigerator box and chuck me in a hole in the ground. Silk padding won't exactly be useful at that point.

Anonymous said...

Slackers of the world UNTIE!!! Erm, I mean unite, I must be sydlexic or something also. Anywho, I was talking to another of our friends today and she is also suffering from the major lack of motivation that seems to be plaguing all college students and those Dordtians in particular. Good thing you went to bed "early" Weds night, we don't want you getting too behind on your sleep, this is spring "break" after all. I'm glad to hear that they had a celebration rather than a mourning, because you know, if the angels in heaven rejoice when another one comes home who are we to say that everyone should be sad, Christ also rebuked the mourners of Jairus' daughter (because she was only "sleeping"). If I'm around when you go I'll be sure to go to the potluck (but I'm an old fart and you'll probably outlast me) and will definitely celebrate having known you.
So to respond to your different note, SO WHAT IF WE TALK FUNNY? Yeah, it happens, I have a drawl apparently, but its sad because I'm from Iowa, and even most Iowans won't claim me. :P I wish I could be there, warm is good, food is better and yeah, sometimes the accents can be a bit much, not to mention the smell. I guess I forgive you, but only til the next time, and then the time after that, and maybe the time after that too.

Stephenie said...

Door prizes...I like it.

Taxidermy anyone?

Anonymous said...

BETHIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm back from Bama and I'm BURNT!!!!!!!!!!! I must admit, as I was sitting on the beach yesterday, I thought of you......and felt guilty that I wasn't wearing any sunscreen. I guess I'll just be Melanoma girl. The wierd thing is that I burnt the backs of my legs and nothing else. Everyone else in my group looks like tomatoes.

Bama was great! Can't wait to tell ya all about it and hear about your break!

By the way, if I were to be taxidermied (is that a word?), I'd want to be stuffed in the superman position and hung from the cieling. I've always wanted to be able to fly.... :)

~Your Roomie, Sleggie

Stephenie said...

*ahem*
Where did you go?

p.s. I'm pretty sure the answer is "back to IA" but I'll need you to post something just so I can be sure.

Anonymous said...

I agree with many points. But in some areas, I feel we need to be more aggressive. Just my opinion. Love ya. halter neck wedding dresses!?! Christian Louboutin Pumps Mother Of Bride