Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Fleeting

Hello, my loves, just a short one tonight. And a serious one, as well. I received a call from a dear friend that another dear friend of mine, Ashley, who got married over Christmas, just lost her husband in a motorcycle-car accident. This has really brought me up short, because people my age just aren't supposed to die like that... Or at least we don't tend to think so. So if you would remember her in your prayers, she would greatly appreciate it, I'm sure. And I pray that we would all think more seriously about death, not to be macabre, but because it is very real.
I was reading in Psalm 73 yesterday afternoon, and I came across the verse that asks, "Who have I in heaven but You?" James Schaap, who is paraphrasing Abraham Kuiper in the devotional I'm going through, calls for a deeper consideration of that verse. Here on earth there are all sorts of things for us to love, be concerned about, and care for, and this is good! This is how God created things. But when I die, it's just me and God. That's all that matters! God is EVERYTHING in heaven. This should profoundly influence how we live here in this life, as well, because He has given us everything that we have to love and care for and be concerned about. Just some thoughts from me as I prepare to go home for 10 days. My blogging may well be limited for that duration. God bless to all of you, though, and please remember Ashley.

3 comments:

honeyhair said...

again, sorry for twice...

tubapotamus said...

WHO THE HECK IS THAT GUY?!?!?!? And why does he sound so much like the sphinx, from Mystery Men?

Anonymous said...

Ashely and her family will be in my prayers. Its really tough to understand why God allows young people with their whole life ahead of them to fall early in the race, but his plan is a bit more far reaching than ours (not to mention more fulfilling). Hope you are having a good break and I hope that with awesome friends like you she'll be able to make it through this tough time.