Friday, April 22, 2005

The more you know, the less you feel

I'm feeling melancholy. I probably shouldn't post when I'm feeling this way, because I have no idea where I'll end up, and I'll say something to draw the sarcastic wit of Joseph and Kit and feel bad about my blog being so controversial without even trying to make it that way. Sigh. Sometimes things are just too hard.
I failed to save the worms last night because I was in Sioux Falls, watching Dordt's musicians demonstrate just how Jubilant they are about 50 years of magic. It's kind of weird, though, because just at this crucial juncture, a LOT of students, myself included, are getting really sick of President Zylstra, who's been pushing decisions that favor increasing enrollment without really considering the cost on the Dordt community. The case in point right now is the push for a Dordt football team. First off, Calvinists don't make good football players. I don't have a great explanation for that, they just don't. So the players coming in would most likely not be in keeping with the Reformed mindset that Dordt is (at least I thought) so proud of. And starting up a team would cost the school over 3 million dollars, then thousands more through the years in an effort to support a team and establish a fan base for this team, which will not be good for at least 10 years, simply because that's the way things go. Now, most of you who know me know I love football. The issue is not that I'm anti-football. I think it would be fun to go see games. BUT to bring football to Dordt would be a death knell, and I'm not even exaggerating, to Dordt's mission. So, here's President Zylstra promoting our school on this tour, and the choirs, band, and orchestra act all excited about school, when in reality a good number of us are really annoyed with the progress of things and forsee the school shooting itself in the foot and making itself shut down pretty soon if people don't make some serious changes. I'd move to impeach Zylstra, but I don't think it works that way.
Ok, since most of you don't know much about that whole previous issue, I'll see if I can come up with something friendly to the general public. Hmmmmmm................Wow, I can't really think of much. What should I do with this weekend to myself, since Sarah's finally out of my space and I can do what I want. :)

4 comments:

honeyhair said...

Current desktop image: Mr. Monroe facing off with his son. It's real cute.
Biggest desire at this moment: to get over this feeling of melancholy, and perhaps have a Snickers.

tubapotamus said...

I never liked the Prez ever since opening day when he said that Dordt will colapse in 20 years or whenever. I dont think having a football team is a good idea either, most guys who are good a football are not the kind of guys who are good in pretty much all other areas of life. Plus, it would make Covenent a tough place to live. All the football players would room on the frist floor, and all the Lacrosse and hockey players would room on the third floor, and all the nerds/wimps/un-athletic would be on the second floor. And fights would breack out among the jocks, and the poor second floor guys would get killed.

I would look into finding out how to get Prez Z removed, I think he has alterior motives that are detramental to the future of Dordt College.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm. I know the feeling of wondering about Dordt's direction. I too really think its stupid that the profs voted AGAINST football, the students I believe voted AGAINST football and yet they are still proceeding with it. Great reasoning there. Ah well, the good thing is we'll be on our way out when it comes in, the bad thing is maybe a ways down the road we'll no longer have an alma mater to come back to, or else it will be even more beggarish about soliciting funds.

Alissa said...

Well, I dont go to Dordt but let me tell you, i know exactly what you all are going through. My school, good ol UD, has gone through that in the last few years. THey use ALL our money for this DANG football team, and wanna know our record?! Well I am gonna tell you anyway...WE WON ONE GAME ALL YEAR! (and that is a new RECORD!) not even joking...want me to come over there and speak to your president whoever?