Friday, January 28, 2005

To love another person is to see the face of God

I'm here, sitting in my roomizzle, eating a pb&j, and it turns out I don't need a nap. So here's the past few days.
First, Monday our genetics lab started working with fruit flies so that we could do crosses and such. It's almost as much fun as it sounds, believe me! So for the past 5 days all of us have been required to go down to the lab, which is across campus for me, every 8-9 hours and check on the babies. My favorite has been "harvesting virgins", where we have to knock all of the flies out with this stuff that smells sort of like MD 20/20 mixed with grape juice, poke through all of the sleeping flies, and find ones that are females. The rest are dumped so that the new ones who come out of pupating stay virgin. Pedophilia doesn't work in fruitflies, either. So that's been fun, but this afternoon was real exciting because I finally got to put in some males and cross my sepia eyes with wild type!!! .........yep, so, flies are dumb.
Second, Wednesday evening I went with a bunch of people to go see Les Miserables at the Orpheum in Sioux City. I was impressed enough with the theater - it's got to be the nicest place in Sioux City, and probably western Iowa. But the show....*CRY*...... It was incredible. It was the actual Broadway cast and set and all, so you would expect excellence. But this was excellence voux tre pliance, or some other meaningless French sounding phrase that means it was like nothing I'd ever seen. I smiled the whole time, just because the voices were so good, and the set was so cool, and the music was fabulous. We all LOVED it, but there weren't any really good stories about how we messed up the fancy atmosphere or anything, I don't think. And I managed to keep from kicking the chair in front of me, Steph, so I passed that test. But yes, it was incredible, an experience I will never forget, even though the only pants I had to wear to the show were dirty jeans. But Justin wore jeans too.....
Third, tonight I'm going with my roommate and several other friends on a womens' retreat, retreating all the way to Carmel, about 3 miles north of here, as I understand it. It should be neat, a chance to reflect and focus on my relationship with God, guys, and all of my girl friends too. There's not too much more to be said about that because I don't know anything more, so I'll talk about that later, I s'pose.
Oh, and since a lot of people do those daily moods, or what they're eating, or what's in the cd player, or whatever, I'm going to start that too.
Current desktop image: Jurassic 5
Biggest desire at moment: a warm, bubbly bath

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever taken a bubble bath in your life? I seriously doubt it. Take that! From- Tubapotamus

Anonymous said...

Thought provoking. Very true. Wedding Dresses 2011 . Christian Louboutin Pumps Column Wedding Dresses