Sunday, January 30, 2005

chocolatey goodness, sorta

Today is my lovely roommates's 19 1/2th birthday, so to celebrate I decorated the room by taping balloons filled with chocolate to the ceiling (mostly so I could amuse myself by watching her try to get them down.....) and other such nonsense, mostly making a big mess, but I think she enjoys it.
Anyways, I went to the apartment of my friends Rosie and Karissa to borrow their oven, eggs, and a little applesauce so I could make Sarah some cupcakes. They turned out fabulously, naturally, but Rosie made me watch something that will disturb me until the day I die. I don't know if any of you have seen The Fly, a movie about this guy who accidentally turns himself into a fly and his girlfriend ends up blowing him away with a shotgun - rather Kafka-esque, in a manner of speaking. Very much like Metamorphosis. But anyway, the plot is rather idiotic and the process of turning into a fly is absolutely disgusting, watching this guy's flesh fall off him while these insectoid legs come popping out of his abdomen. We kept watching in horrified fascination, and it's kind of funny because the movie ends by the woman firing the shotgun, sobbing broken-heartedly, then looking at this guy whose leg is melted off because the fly-man threw up on it. Then the credits role. I can't believe that anyone actually thought that this story was worth telling, and then made money off it. But the images were so awful..... Not even cupcakes could reconcile that.
I'm sure I just made everyone's day with that. I hope that I haven't made you all hate me for life!
Current desktop image: the Phoenician letter A
Biggest desire at the moment: never to have seen The Fly

2 comments:

Stephenie said...

"help me! help me!"

I just remember him being stuck in the web while the other guy wth the bulbous fly head was running around wreaking havoc and making me sick.
Yumms. I'm glad you were introduced to such a classic piece of film history. The only way you can justify it is to watch and better understand the Simpsons version.

Anonymous said...

Mmm...applesaucy cupcakes...

Your roommate must be VERY lovely to deserve such a delicious ceiling. You must be very greatful to have such a wonderful person to live with. :)

~Roger