Monday, February 21, 2005

What the heck's a follicle-stimulating hormone...?

I'm a little loopy from staying up late studying for a human anatomy test that covers the entire endocrine and circulatory systems, and there's about everything to know about both of them. So yeah, feeling weird and tired but not tired at all. What a nearly metaphysical, but actually just kind of stupid statement....
So, one time........in Genetics lab........I had to pull heads off of fly larvae/grubs and look for salivary glands, all to no end because only one guy found what we were looking for. I think the prof liked watching me nearly break into tears from being grossed out and frustrated because their heads wouldn't come off.... I know the TA was having a good time. Yeah, then the irony was that it was pasta night in the commons. I most definitely had a pork patty, which isn't much better, but at least doesn't look like grubs, especially when served with ketchup and a dry martini.
For your listening and viewing (dis)pleasure, here's something that's going around Dordt. It's pretty awful, but at the same time, I kind of like it.
http://www.users.muohio.edu/miyamadm/book(hi).wmv
Let me know what you think.
Current desktop image: a population of Sundews, an insectivorous plant (meaning it eats bugs)
Biggest desire at this moment: to have someone with whom to throw a football around. And a nice, sunny, warm field in which to throw around. But not too warm, because then I'd get hot, and turn pink. I hate turning pink.

3 comments:

tubapotamus said...

Well, Im impressed with the rhyming, disgusted with the concept, loved the flannelgraph, and thought the ring in the bible was a good idea. Overall, I give it three noses? You know, when you turn pink you can pretend you are a cooked lobster, I loved pretending that when I was little. I cant believe you got squemish trying to pop heads off of larvae. What will you do when you are on fear factor and they make you pop off the heads and suck out the insides?

Stephenie said...

He makes a good point you know--you should have stayed late popping off extra heads just for practice. Geez, and I wanted to see you on TV too.

Anonymous said...

But you look GOOD in pink. :P Yeah, so larvae are sorta gross, reminds me of the time when I was younger and tried dissecting a live toad with a dull X-acto knife, got peed on, thought I was going to get warts and it ended up not being the liveliest toad around anymore. :'( That is a quite amusing video, yeah I got it the other day in an IM from a friend (surprisingly not Dordt) but I'd heard the song before, quite hilarious to see the video they put with it. Yeah, I will 2nd alice, I wanna see you on TV, and not just a large projected image at some 50th Annual Spoofed awards show either (although that wasn't altogether bad either) ;) Hope you surviving your testing and trials this week.