Monday, February 28, 2005

See below

so, apparently I'm having blogging trouble. I've been reading up on my ancient Greek history and I stumbled across the claim by Protagoras given below. What he is referring to, of course, is that human law and morality are simply a matter of convention to be determined and mandated by the people of a democratic society, rather than having some innate and absolute value in something other than the human mind. What say you to this notion? I'm feeling philosophical at the moment, which often happens after I work out, so I hope to be both more philosophical and more toned in the future. :)
On an entirely different note, some guy just walked by my dorm door and let out a huge belch. What is it that makes people think that being that disgusting is ok? The girl with him let out this twittery little giggle and, by virtue of her stupidity, affirmed his nastiness. I, for one, don't feel like standing for this, but I also don't feel like going and finding the perpetrators, seeing as they walked by about 3 minutes ago by now and could be anywhere. There now, wasn't that inspired....
Gonna go check on my flies! I have to start killing and counting them tonight, I hope I can handle the violence... *wry face*
Current desktop image: The cover to the latest Simon and Garfunkel album covering their Old Friends tour (*cry*)
Biggest desire at this moment: to sit in a hot tub for a few hours with good friends and good conversation, and a great body to look nice in a cute bikini. Actually, I made the last part up.

6 comments:

tubapotamus said...

Want a cute body in a nice bikini? look no further than ME!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that he claims that morality is a matter of convention ot be determined and mandated by society. We've talked about this in a couple of my philosophy classes and also in my Contemporary Moral issues class so I've got lots of background, but lets just say that this is true. Then why is it wrong for us to make laws against homosexual marriages? (Its our society that wants to mandate it, its a small percentage of individuals that are against this.) Also, its interesting that most societies really have similar conventions, I mean really, how many cultures allow murder (not many that still exist :p ) and I really find it interesting that ours is one of the few cultures that would even consider legalizing said marriages because throughout history there isn't a record of societies that allowed such things lasting very long.

On that different note, yeah, guys are disgusting and girls seem to take that for granted, as a guy I am very sad that this is so, because that means girls end up lowering there standards, and while most guys think that's a good thing, I think that's terrible because then the girls will have to put up with terrible things, but when you hold men to a higher standard you would be AMAZED at the things they can achieve.
Sidenote: You should read Authentic Beauty soon, I finished it a while back, God's Gift to Women is currently being borrowed by someone else, but Authentic Beauty is another very good read and they go together quite well, I actually think reading AB first would have been better (but God wanted me to read GGtW first I guess).

So yeah, flies are gross. I wouldn't mind sitting around in a hottub one bit, and I'm not sure I would complain if you wore a bikini either. ;| :P Yeah, I really like the friends and conversation part though, cause otherwise we could just as well sit around in a snowbank and look glamorous.

Anonymous said...

hey poo, you'll have to compete with me for nice bod...ew nevermind, let's postpone that. hey, this thing isn't letting me comment.

Anonymous said...

... ... ...
so, I'm trying to think of something to say in response to your little thing here, but I really can't. I can't figure out what you're talking about in the first part, I concur with you on the second, and ... yeah flies are kind of grody.
and ... bikini? yeah

Stephenie said...

Sometimes I giggle when someone does something disgusting and abominable because I don't know what else to do. I really think that's how slapstick comedy gets most of its laughs. Half the audience hates it, but because they laugh anyway, it reinforces the performers to continue. I hate slapstick.

Anonymous said...

Possibly the most amazing blog that I read all year! halter neck wedding dresses!?! christian louboutin fur boots. Princess A-Line