Monday, February 14, 2005

St Elmo's Fire

Yeah, I'm probably breaking with the tradition of most single people of my age on this day in saying that I really do like Valentine's Day. True, it's terribly commercialized, as are any and all holidays, but I am not anti-love and affection, as are many (especially single girls I know). Now this is silly to me. Just because you don't have someone to make out with tonight is no reason to hate the holiday and everyone who is making out tonight! Last year, I did have a reason to celebrate Valentine's Day, and I enjoyed very much putting time and care into showing someone that I loved him. I don't have a boyfriend this year, but I can still appreciate those who use this opportunity to tell people they love them, and I have in fact made valentines for many of my friends, to let them know I care. So to those of you who wore all black today, or green, pretending it was St. Patrick's Day, I say get over your lonely, pathetic lives and let other people live! I had to, and it's turned out ok for me, so far. I even got a valentine from my Dad today, so it's all good! If for no other reason, enjoy the extra candy that's floating around today and the next few days as people try to get rid of it.
Hahaha, not really in keeping with my ramble above, I liked what my Educational Psychology prof said about Valentine's Day, that the flowers that are given are in fact dead when you get them, and all chocolate does is make you fat and pimply. Then, today he confided in us that he completely forgot that today was Valentine's Day until about lunchtime, and knows that he will spend the night on the couch for his negligence. Ahhh, poor Elgersma......
Time for a random aphorism:
"When one is polite in German, one lies" - Goethe
Current desktop image: the croquet set that could have been mine, except now I have a new one from Renee', so it's ok! :)
Biggest desire at this moment: a hot shower

4 comments:

tubapotamus said...

You get two thumbs up for such a mature view on today. I was alittle worried how you would be today, but obviously, you pulled though. On a side note, I;ve notived I love using commas in almost every sentance I write.

Anonymous said...

totally there with the candy thing. I didn't have a valentine either, but I was matched up with Isaac Brown - word!
ha I just said word

Anonymous said...

this is a Rosie

and although it is way way past St. Valentino's, I saw your post now, and want to commend you for such a Bethie outlook on the day. I don't understand why people wear black, unless they want to be mimes or something. I'm not particularly bitter either, especially since I've stared celibacy in the face and have come to terms with it. But I totally forgot to cash in on all the half price candy. I won't miss out on the sales the day after easter, I can tell you that.

Anonymous said...

Bwaahahahha! Awesome. xoxhalter neck wedding dresses!?! Louboutin Shoes pumps christian louboutin. Simple Wedding Dresses