Monday, January 28, 2008

Squeaky swings and tall grass

Remember that scene from a particular Family Guy episode, when Peter, Cleveland, Quagmire, and Joe walk into a karaoke bar and sing "Don't Stop Believin'", and the whole town is drawn into their musical aura, because, let's face it, who doesn't love that song, especially when it's sung by amateurs? Well, I lost my karaoke virginity to Steve Perry and the rest of Journey the other night. It really is a magical song to stand up and sing in front of a bunch of drunks.

I've been finding myself really lonely of late, in a weird way. Not because I have nothing to do and no one around to care about me. I love my roommates, and they love me, and we spend a lot of time together. My parents are in town and wish they could see me more often. There are plenty of other people in town to spend quality time with, and I do that. I guess I'm missing spending time with people I simply can't spend time with, due to distance. I also wish I could be with those I care about who are lonely because they don't have too many people around who care about them. That hurts me the most, knowing that a friend is in need and being unable to do anything about it.

I'm also lonely for certainty. I miss knowing what's coming next. Not in a mundane sense, but in simply in knowing that I am working toward a goal, rather than working toward finding a goal to work toward. I had that through school, working toward getting a degree and moving on with the rest of my life. Now I'm neck deep in the rest of my life, but don't really have any idea what the rest of my life is about yet. I know this isn't a new feeling, not even to my own experience, but it's really hit me hard in the past few weeks. Being neck deep in anything and not having a plan for either getting out or submerging is an uncomfortable spot. My recurring fantasy of late has been finding a way of becoming independently wealthy somehow (inventing a new cookie, finding a cheap way to implement solar power, starting my own indie band) then spending the rest of my life on a beach in Sonora, Mexico, teaching the children of Mexico how to be marine biologists so together they can save the Gulf of California.

I also want a boyfriend. I said it. Lame and far too typical, but true.

For this week, however, my main goal is to examine myself in the light of Ephesians 4:17-32, confess, and seek to change the things in my life that passage brings out. And maybe work a bit harder to stop ending my sentences with prepositions, which I've done a LOT in this post, and probably none of you really care about.

9 comments:

honeyhair said...

interesting fact for the day:
Google's homepage is telling me that Legos are 50 years old today.

Happy birthday, legos! You don't look a day over 48.

Kathlyn D said...

bethie.
amen amen amen sister--
about everything... loneliness, uncertainty, boyfriends... you name it.
miss you.

Stephenie said...

*Pulling out Ephesians....*

Wow, you're such a blessing to me. I really needed to read that passage this morning.
I'm praying that you'll find some direction (and that it might point toward Mexico :)

Reido Bandito said...

Sometimes I think that I jumped into grad school, just so that I could be certain of what was after Dordt. Great work, Reid.

r.c.f. said...

boyfriends are overrated; i've had no success with them.

honeyhair said...

hahaha, thanks Ross. Duly noted.

Katy, I miss you and your domestic ways. No one down here is particularly interested in crocheting or creating fine foods. We should hang out again sometime.

Reid, don't regret furthering your education. Ever. Maybe if you study enough philosophy, "Southland Tales" will actually make sense?

Stephie Steph, I may have to hitchhike down to Centeral Mexico, but if I can help it, I'm coming.

Mary Beth said...

Hi Bee-
I am so glad that you are a blogger now too! You will have to teach me how to link my friends and find them and such.

I love you...and pray for you often. God is faithful- AND you so could have a boyfriend if you would just accept...nevermind.
Good luck on finding the addressed envelop. I got a stamp.

Jeffy said...

I hear the loneliness
It's wierd to be embarrassed to say, "I want to be in love"
but i get that really bad.
I hope you're having luck

Reido Bandito said...

I'll tell you what I want: a new posting.