Tuesday, June 19, 2007

They only wanna do you dirt'

It's Get-A-Job Tuesday! Hoooray! Because Get-A-Job Monday didn't work out so well. I anticipate there will probably also be a Get-A-Job Wednesday. Word.

I know it's ridiculous to do so, but my frustration with attempts to find meaningful and productive employment have made me wonder (just a little) what was the point of getting a degree. I don't need one for the jobs I'm looking at, and in fact I missed out on a lot of work experience while I was in school. Boo. I'm not sorry I went to school, I guess. I'm just really upset at my lack of job-finding skills.

In more embarassing news, I think I may be the only educated person in the country who has no interest in the upcoming elections. I have little knowledge of those who are running, I'm not even sure what the issues are. I know names but not faces, except for John McCain, who I'd vote for automatically at this point because he's my senator and Reid says he's not half-bad. I like to think that I'm uninterested because, in the grand scheme of things, the differences between U.S. presidential candidates are so insignificant compared to other elections running around the world, that it doesn't really matter, the same things will happen regardless. But, really, it's probably more because I'm a bit lazy. And my internet sucks so I'm disinclined to spend a lot of time internet researching. I need some inspiration.

Methinks I might find it listening to Justin Timberlake.

6 comments:

Mrs. Bookworm said...

i would like to point out that Justin Timberlake doesnt inspire much... and ampathy creates chaos darling... the time to start thinking about politics is in janurary after the primaries are important. You are intelligent and you can do it. and besides you will find a job!

Andrea said...

Hillary came to Sioux Center. Vote for Hillary. Plus one of her campaign commercials is a play on the finale of The Sopranos.

Maybe you should vote for JT.

Reido Bandito said...

I dont know that I will vote for McCain. He has a lot of opposition. But I'd sooner vote for him than Giuliani, assuming that I'd vote conservative. I just respect him as a politician. Is that enough reason to make him President? I dont know. It may come to that.
I see that it was 108 degrees in Tucson today. In a masochistic way I miss that.

Jen said...

Bethany three comments...
1st You just need to get a kick A** job and it'll come at the right time.
2nd Just make sure before you vote, you are able to look at each politician and thier views, you still have time. If not pick other and vote for justin timberlake, I'll help you with that campaign.
3rd I think we need some Jen and Bethany time seriously.
ok thats it chiao

r.c.f. said...

i'm with you on the job-search issue and the election--i don't regret college because i feel i gained so much from it personally. but occupationally?--the one reason most people think you go to college--i don't know if i gained much at all. for now i think i feel ok with that, it's just annoying when so many people make you feel like that it's not ok, because of course ones sole purpose in life is to be occupationally successful and significant.

as for the election--i'm to the point where all i really want is someone drastically different. not drastically different from bush, per say, but just from mainstream politicians in general, which pretty much rules out anyone who has a chance....but i feel that's the only way we'd see anything new in washington. all the other front-runners are just going to create the same childish, gridlocked bickering we see now only in different ways. anyway...i guess i'm done...cynic signing off//

Jenn said...

I would like to consider myself an educated person (perhaps an over-educated person?) and I am DEFINITELY not interested in the upcoming election. Please, can the media find SOMETHING else to talk about?

Your education was not in vain, my dear. DO NOT buy into the popular misconception that the purpose of a college education is to get you a job so that you can make a lot of money so that you can retire when you're 40, so that you can finally do all the things you really want to do. You will be a better barista/insurance adjuster/grocery store check out girl/missionary/teacher/whatever because you have been exercising your mind for the past four years. I'd definitely hire you if I could!