Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Just trying to keep the customer satisfied...

So, it's been a while. I suppose if I do intend to keep in touch with those of you on here, I ought to post a bit more frequently. I suppose.

SO. I need a job. Something that pays more than minimum wage, preferably. Here are the options I am looking at right now:

- GEICO insurance claims adjuster - Basically, I would look at accidents called in and decide fault, as well as how much to pay out for these accidents. Since I have a college degree, I don't have to do the entry-level stuff, even though I would prefer to...
Ups - $17.50 an hour, within biking distance from my house
Downs - lots of decision making, corporate work environment, and my interview wasn't stellar

- US Postal Service Mail Processor - I really have no idea what this job would entail, but I thought I would give it a go. Who doesn't like mail?
Ups - $17-20 an hour, within biking distance from my house, government benefits
Downs - government job, probably pretty menial, also can take 6 months to get hired

- Bookseller at Barnes & Noble or Borders - I'd work the salesfloor, shelve books, help people out, and get to be around books all day.
Ups - being around books all day
Downs - pay only slightly above minimum wage, farther away from my house

- Overnight care provider for ancient guy - I'm actually already working this job, so it doesn't really need to be included, but I did anyway.
Ups - $10 an hour, including time when I'm sleeping, overnight so I can work another day job
Downs - not a whole lot of sleeping gets done, he's deaf and really fundamentalist, lives about 15 miles away

- Barista at locally owned and operated coffee shop - Since I feel that working for Starbucks would be catering to the Man, I can sleep at night when considering this application. And it helps to prepare me if Mrs. M and I open Just Coffee.
Ups - within skipping distance from my house, makes me a barista
Downs - pay only slightly above minimum wage

Any input or suggestions for other opportunities for employment would be MOST welcome. I have loans to start paying in a couple months...

15 comments:

Jeffy said...

Alan Kloosterhof is working at barnes and noble.
So far he say's the atmosphere and the people make the bad pay tolerable.
However, I would also put this store and borders in the catagorie of "the man"

Reido Bandito said...

Are you talking about Coffee XTreme? If so, get that job and I'll go there when I get to Tucson. I love their Xtreme Chai drinks. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Sarah Alice said...

P Diddy is on TYRA! Why do you need a job?

If employment is indeed necessary, I vote with Reid. Any job with the word "xtreme" involved is definately worth the shitty pay.

DEDEDEDEDE...de

Jeffy said...

hehe
gotcha sucka

Reener said...

I've always wanted to work in a bookstore. However, the cons you listed are true. I vote Post Office or B&N.

Kathlyn D said...

i agree with jeffy. isn't barnes and noble also the man? I applied at it's canadian counterpart--chapters, and although i have an english degree (almost) and have worked in retail for 2 years, i didn't even get an interview.

but bethany. worry not. I am a believer in things coming up. something will come up. it always does.

Mrs. Bookworm said...

b&n could be considered "the man" as well, and i have found that they seem to be unorganized and part of the jerk team... I have bad experiences with b&n's. but let me warn you that you didnt like working at target because "you had to sell useless crap that they don't need" thats kind of how it gets working in a bookstore, and you begin disliking people for their stupidity about books, and life in general and you start cursing books because you realize they are just carbon copies of other ideas and they arent quite paying all of the bills (all struggles i have had to deal with as a bookseller. This is getting kind of long... so here is my opinion either a barrista or mail postal worker... as well as keeping your current job. if you do the whole barrista thing we can open a book/coffee shop with smart books and smart people working there. ;-)

Stephenie said...

I'm less concerned about the social status jobs. Get a job where you can meet lots of Mexicans.

Kunnari said...

run away with me and forget work

Jeffy said...

haha!
Ask Matt where he wants to go.
then you'll know it's fate

Andrea said...

I vote for barista or Barnes and Noble. Money does not equal happiness. Usually.

r.c.f. said...

who is this clown? money always equals happiness. duh.

Jihad Hernandez said...

You're in Arizona. You can meet Mexicans everywhere.

I vote post office. Because it's something you've never done before probably. And because that's why my mother wanted me to consider when I was still thinking I was gonna go to jr. College in California. You'll get to walk a lot. maybe.

Jihad Hernandez said...

or Starbucks, because B&N, for the atmousphere, is still not worth the pay.

Reener said...

I've decided that we should both work at the post office. Just not any of the scary branches.