Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The sky is burning

So, not sure how much news it's making in the rest of the country, but the San Diego fires are a big deal right here right now, mostly because most people in Southern Arizona consider San Diego their home away from home. But anyways...

On the way to work this morning I flipped to JonJay and Rich (KRQQ, Reid!) and they had on the phone one of the big dj's out of San Diego and they were asking him what was actually going on there and what everybody here could do to help - a noble gesture, to be sure, but these guys are so stupid, I'm sure it was a marketing ploy by their manager. Regardless, the SD dj was describing the horrors of these fires going on around San Diego, saying it was like something out of a movie, how 650,000 people have been asked to leave their homes, how people have been living at Qualcom Stadium for a few days, blah blah blah... Then this guy had the balls to say that "there has never been anything like this, the devastation is just unbelievable." and that, "more people have been evacuated from San Diego than were evacuated because of Hurricane Katrina." I wanted to punch a hole through my dashboard. Serves me right for listening to 93.7.

Yes, the loss of 1600 homes is a serious thing, and I feel for the families that are losing their property. But, people, for real. It is insulting to the victims of Katrina to imply that their tragedy is overshadowed by Southern California suburbanites losing their too-large and too-expensive houses. One person has died in this fire. Very few businesses have suffered. San Diego will be FINE in two years. Many towns hit by Katrina will NEVER recover. @#$&*^#!....

AND, as for something like this never happening before, just because you are an historical idiot doesn't make you allowed to claim that before. Chicago, London, San Francisco...all cities more economically pivotal in their time which were utterly devastated by fire and, in San Francisco's case, earthquakes.

Maybe this is boring to everyone else, but it pissed me off right good. Now I suppose I should work, since I'm at work.

3 comments:

Reido Bandito said...

Damn you, KRQ!!!!!!

Haak, you know you shouldn't have even been listening to it. Actually, I did listen to it for a while in high school. Then I switched to KFMA. Then, after KFMA didn't play a new song in 5 years, I decided to swear off radio. Then, I got satellite radio. Then it was stolen from my car.
Such were my radio chronicles.

Jeffy said...

of course i was sad that you were not there.
I tried to find "once" i only just realized that i had heard part of the soundtrack on the radio, and that i had actually made a note of trying to see it. in any case i can't find it yet.

Reido Bandito said...

ok, this is getting out of hand