Tuesday, May 09, 2006

And goodbye makes the journey harder still...

To whom it may concern:
I am home at last! And in the spirit of High Fidelity, I will recount the events of my trip and arrival with a couple of top fives.

Top Five Crappy Things about the Drive Home
1. Being deprived of performing the Heimlich maneuver on a kid who was choking in a Wendy's in Colorado by some guy who thought he was the man and told me he would handle it.
2. Sleeping for an hour and a half in the fetal position in the passengers seat, surrounded by truck drivers, then getting up with the sun and back on the road.
3. Almost getting lost in Las Vegas, New Mexico, which is a dirty, dirty town.
4. Rush hour in Denver after a Rockies game.
5. All of the pretty scenery was in the dark by the time we got to it.

Top Five Awesome Things about the Drive Home
1. Peter, Paul, and Mary - they're going to be my activist theme music from now on.
2. John Piper sermons
3. Watching a prairie dog waddle across the road in front of me, though I was going 80 mph and could have squoooshed him.
4. Having a story to tell about this one time when I almost did the Heimlich on some kid who was choking.
5. A Mighty Wind - the Soundtrack

Yes, now it's time for me to get a job, get registered for summer classes, and somehow afford a car.
"How many ears must a young man have before he can hear people cry?" - PP&M. Oh folk rock.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

BETHIE!!! You are my friend, and I miss you. I'm sorry you didn't get to perform the Heimlich. You would have rocked the socks off that other tool.

Jihad Hernandez said...

folk rock is my favorite genre. No joke.

Anonymous said...

my grandma and mum know the artists from peter, paul and mary... or maybe its just one of them.

Jihad Hernandez said...

I saw someone who looked like you at bible study tonight. And I realized how far away my Dordt life is from where I am now.

Quackbert said...

Yes, I have one of your suitcases. I don't know your number, so you'll have to call mine sometime.

nokomis said...

captain haak, i miss your poopy smell

Kathlyn D said...

bethany,
i miss you. you should blog more.
have you found a job? you should see the things i am cooking. no muffins, thank goodness, but you are MISSING out. i have perfected black bean salad and noodles with floury cheese sauce and lots of peppers. i was just joking about the pasta.

Tom said...

I flew in and out of Seatle last weekend--around midnight both times... so I missed some sweet scenary too.

I hope your summer's good so far and that you can find a killer summer job!

r.c.f. said...

hmmm....they must not have the internet in arizona yet? that's a shame.

sara without an 'h' said...

What are you up to this summer, Beth? Must be something wonderful to keep you from the very important task of updating your blog.

Kathlyn D said...

yes. bethany, post on your damn blog.

Josh said...

sounds like you had quite the adventure...and I am in agreement with Sarah. you definitely would have rocked the socks off that other tool. I hope your summer is going fantastically and that you're enjoying your time at home/work (wherever that is). see ya round sometime.

Andrea said...

I echo Katy and her filthy language.

Andrea said...

I echo Katy and her filthy language.

Jeffy said...

Beth,

what is happening

Don't make us sent reid after you

Anonymous said...

Dear Poophead,

Do you still exist? Did you recieve my letter? And did you hear Rachel Palmer is engaged? Holy cow! Party in the So Cal.....south carolina, that is.

I hope you are having a wonderful summer working. Maybe you're working at Target with that hot Latino boy. Hopefully.

Highest Regards,
Sarah Alice