Saturday, April 22, 2006

The angel opens her eyes

I was rebuked for not posting in a long time. So, instead of standing up for myself and asserting that I have too much to do to waste my time with posting, I'll just cave in and post.
I took one of those online, very empirical and conclusive quizzes to assess my personality, and it turns out I'm an idealist. No big surprise here. That's most likely why I hated the stigma of doughnuts in the Justice Matters tent this past week - don't bribe people to participate with doughnuts! They should care about these things because they are important, not because we're giving them tasty treats! Anyways, I think that's why I'm also struggling this semester. This semester, more than any other, I have felt very much that I'm just working for a grade right now. I'm not in it to learn, to better myself, and to enjoy the knowledge I'm gaining. I'm just in this to keep my grades up so I can keep my scholarships so I can continue to afford to go here. And not only am I an idealist, I'm an idealist in the Education department, which means I am now living a teacher's worst nightmare. The last thing teachers want is for their students to be performance-driven, working only for the grade. So it's frustrating for me, and I don't know how to snap myself out of it at this point in the game. Sigh.

On a different note, here's a picture of me and my sisters on our trip to Michigan this summer. I love my sisters, and I miss them a lot. Sara is thinking about spending most of the summer in New York with a friend, which I think would be a great opportunity, but it would also be sad.
On a final note, I helped the kids in my lab kill chickens for dissection on Wednesday, and it was pretty awful because one of the chickens refused to die, even after being swung around in circles by his neck (an attempt which got me covered in chicken sh*t). So the kid grabbed a dissecting knife and chopped its head off. It was pretty graphic and violent, but at the same time entertaining. Is that twisted?

6 comments:

Jihad Hernandez said...

of course it is, but then again, so are the Simpsons.

tubapotamus said...

ha ha ha ha ha. I would pay money to see video of you leading kids forward to slaughter chickens. And on the deisre to learn thing, that was kinda my feeling when I was at Dordt. I didnt want to futher my understanding of english or history, I believed my current understanding was enough.

Andrea said...

You look a lot like your sister on the far left. Crazy how genes work. I would like to see you covered in chicken shit, unless it was not fuzzy shit. Because then you wouldn't be fuzzy anymore.

Andrea said...

Yeah, my Mountain Dew was awesome...

Jeffy said...

goals have thier purpose too. It's preparing you for the market economy haha! you utilitarian you

that's very twisted

My dad likes that song that you reference in your title nerd.

David said...

I'm trying to picture you swinging a chicken in circles by its neck in order to kill it...I do like how that graphic little tale came right after you confessed to being a bleeding heart liberal, haha. ;)