Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Omnivore's Dilemma


Because I know you are all so interested in my mediocre book reviews, I'ma do another one, but much shorter than my previous post, because if anyone even bothered to read the whole thing, I'm sure they hated the book by the end of it just because blog posts are not supposed to be long, duh.

But anyways, shortly after finishing In Defense of Food, I dove into The Omnivore's Dilemma, which is actually a prequel, but because I'm nonconformist I does everything howz I wants to. I will say a few things - it's an easier, more engaging read than IDOF. It also makes you feel a lot better about eating anything.

I also appreciated this book because it's written by someone who loves meat. He loves meat even after assisting in the slaughter of said meat. The trend of late has been, if you care about the environment, you'll stop eating meat, and cheese, and eggs, and honey, and ice cream, and everything else that tastes good. Dry oats and grass-flavored hummus for everybody! Instead, Pollan encourages his readers to educate themselves about the meat that they eat - where it comes from, how the animals were raised, how they were slaughtered and butchered, etc, and then to make personal decisions based on that information. In fact, in the third section of the book he actually goes out and hunts for, kills, and assists in the butchering of a wild boar he prepares for a meal. He makes the implication that it may actually be most socially and environmentally responsible to eat wild game that you have hunted, although he is quick to admit that this is not realistic or even possible for everyone in the US to start doing.

Also interesting is his exploration of what he calls "Big Organic"; companies that, while remaining technically 'organic', have fallen into all of the same bad habits as the big corporate farms and packing plants over which they're claiming superiority. So while we may get warm fuzzies from shopping at Whole Foods, in reality the products may bear almost the same carbon footprint while costing twice or three times as much. So, y'know, business corrupts, big business corrupts absolutely. And all that jazz.

I hope this is shorter. Still, probably only two people will read this. And those two people may have already read the book. Or at least seen Food Inc. But I don't write for attention and comments!

Ok, maybe I do. :) Love you guys!

13 comments:

Reido Bandito said...

I haven't read the book, though I would like to.
I have seen Food Inc, though which was pretty good.

I'm Audi 5000.

Andrew said...

I would probably appreciate this book.

And there's my two cents.
Or, to follow in your non-conformity, there's my four cents.

Swadhi said...

Definitely sounds like an interesting book. And I have the same issue where I make my reviews super long...lol

Anonymous said...

darn I love eating at whole foods.. makes me feel like I am taking care of myself. Especially their Kwinoah or i mean keenwa :) thanks for the read!

hapi said...

Hi honeyhair, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Tory Burch Flip Flops as well as these fashions big ka were this shoe's bean or sweet potato starch noodles, the scandal girl act the leading role Blake Lively to pat to once were wearing well from Lanvin and the Jimmy Choo round head splicing design low-heeled shoes, afterward, Emma Roberts has also put on one pair from the Salvatore Ferragamo high-heeled shoes
not only looked like the stars to throw the ticket has given it, started including the luxury goods to note its being lucky, the young female student might choose the color to be bright, the lovable design; The makings female may choose metal Baotou to design the Tory Burch Boots; The nous female may choose the bare color and the cream color matches traditional the black and white, in addition, this kind of shoe, because the color is outstanding enough, therefore may appear the calf is thinner, suited these to want to elongate the thigh line female student ~ Ralph the Lauren 2012 spring summer women's Tory Burch Flats series to deduct a low key aristocrat young girl should truly to put on any Tory Burch Sandals!

iphone bingo said...

It is a very interesting topic that you’ve written here.
The truth is that I’m really related to this, and I think this is a good opportunity to learn more about it.

visio 2010 sale said...

Real-time theme preview when Microsoft visio 2010 the mouse over the shape of style, graphic the Visio2010 design window will be real-time response to the selected theme.Real-time theme preview when the mouse over the shape of style graphics in Visio design window will be real-time response to the selected theme.Use the label could explain Visio 2010 or describe the shapes in your diagram.Visio2010 label is usually associated with a specific shape, and during manual or automatic adjustment to move Microsoft visio 2010 download together with the shape. Visio 2010 download

carpetclean12 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hu Master said...

LeBron 9 black

Air Max Flyposite

jack richard said...

very nice blog...!

Aleksandra Wądołowska said...

Hey. your blog is great;) I invite you to me. You can observing me. http://alex-faashion.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

very interesting blog!
what do you think about follow?:)
http://camode.blogspot.com/ invite:)