Wednesday, April 14, 2010

For love of dirt

The classroom next to mine is the homeroom of my colleague Mr. D, who's worked at Roseland forever, and is much loved by his former students, although his current ones are not quite ready to remember him fondly quite yet. :) He's a wonderful man, although he has a bit of a rough exterior. The subject we do connect on, though, is gardening. He and I were talking about the lettuce and radishes he has coming up in his yard, and his eyes began to sparkle talking about the wonderful salads they had for months off of last year's harvest. Feeling my face light up as well, I remarked that my spinach were looking ready to put in the ground too, and he advised me to do it soon, which I plan on doing. (Friday, methinks. For some reason I have a hard time gardening on a school day. At least so far. I expect that will change.) It's just so delightful to share a conversation with someone who feels the same way about how dirt smells. And how the green of a brand new plant pushing out of the ground is the most beautiful color in the world. And who appreciates a sunny day not simply for the tanning opportunities or the change from rain, but because of all the photosynthesis it will enable.

Speaking of, one of my favorite things about leaving the house early in the morning in Spring is the fact that, when I leave the house, I smell dirt. Have you ever smelled dirt? Good, rich, dark, garden dirt? It's intoxicating. There are few scents I enjoy more. Of course, the mixing in of manure, fertilizer, compost, plant food, and coffee grounds contaminates the experience somewhat, I'd imagine. I was a little disappointed this morning that the air smelled more like manure than dirt, but I suppose it is max-your-lawn time. But really. Dirt. If you have access to the good stuff, smell it. Or just walk through the garden section at your local big box store. Or bury your nose in a bag of potting soil. Or whatever. But do it, and thank me.

7 comments:

Andrew said...

Thank you.

Jeffy said...

yay baby spinaches!!!

Andrew said...

I came on here just now to get updated on your plants. I was disappointed.

Andrea said...

Hi, BHaak. I stumbled across your blog for the first time in way too long. I read AVM recently, too...and Philip has read those 2 Michael Pollan books and is also a gardening fiend. I hope you're able to eat the fruits (and veggies) of your labors! Love.

Kati said...

Hi, from your newest follower!

Taj Mahal India said...

This is a nice posting........

Golden triangle india
Golden Triangle Tours
Taj mahal tour packages

visio 2010 sale said...

Visio 2010 is one of the most outstanding office graphics software, it will be the powerful features and simple operation is a perfect combination.Microsoft visio 2010 Premium Microsoft to provide the highest version of Visio, provides the most complete and most advanced features. Visio 2010 download is one of the world's best business graphics software, it can help users to create business process diagrams and software flowcharts, database model diagram and floor plan.